March 20, 2008

Ik zie oe geerne België . . . . . . . . . . . . Je t'aime Belgique

Just wanted to let everyone know how relieved I am that Belgium is NOT getting a divorce! Whew. Tiny Belgium is an important country for me as one of the happiest years of my life was spent living in fabulous Brussels. It was my first real job, I was just out of college, and the city was filled with young, exuberant people from all over the world. When Belgians demand to know if I lived in the Flemish or French part of the city, I always reply "Turkish" because my neighborhood of Scharbeek was totally Turkish. Actually, while I was there it became Albanian as the city filled up with Kosovar refugees from the Balkans. But I'm so glad that Belgians all worked it out. Sometimes I feel like the future of human existence lies in the Belgians' ability to stick together. And I'm not being ironic.

1 comment:

bathmate said...

thank you for nice posting


Bathmate